Meet Dr. Nguyen
Phillip Nguyen, DDS is an oral surgeon who is now helping patients as a member of Virginia Oral, Facial & Implant Surgery. His skills and areas of interest include dental implants, full mouth rehabilitation, oral pathology, dental and facial trauma, and orthognathic surgery.
Dr. Phillip Nguyen was born in Chicago, Illinois but grew up in Lorton, Virginia. He considers Northern Virginia his home having graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology. He then attended Virginia Tech for his undergraduate degree where he graduated summa cum laude in 2011 with a bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences. He has always wanted to pursue a career in healthcare and completed his Doctorate of Dental Surgery (DDS) at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry in 2015. While in dental school, Dr. Nguyen was inducted into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society for his excellence in academics and leadership, an honor given only to the top students of each graduating class.
Following graduation, Dr. Nguyen completed an oral and maxillofacial surgery internship at the University of Pennsylvania before finishing his residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery at West Virginia University School of Dentistry and Ruby Memorial Hospital, where he was chief resident. The residency program at WVU provided Dr. Nguyen with extensive knowledge and skill in dentoalveolar and implant surgery, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, management of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, maxillofacial trauma, anesthesia, and diagnosis and treatment of pathology.
Dr. Nguyen has also had the opportunity to give back to the community by participating in Mission of Mercy projects and volunteering at the free clinic.
In his free time, Dr. Nguyen enjoys cooking, fishing, amateur powerlifting, spending time with his wife, Jean, trying new restaurants, and playing with his dogs Bonnie and Oliver.
Education and Training
- Certificate in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – West Virginia University, Ruby Memorial Hospital Chief Resident, 2020
- Internship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – University of Pennsylvania, 2016
- Doctor of Dental Surgery – Virginia Commonwealth University, 2015
- Bachelor of Science, Biology – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Summa Cum Laude, 2011
Licenses and Certifications
- Dental and OMFS Licensure in the State of Virginia
- AAOMS Member
- Surgical Privileges at Reston Hospital Center
- Board Certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons