If you are looking for a dependable, natural-looking way to replace missing teeth, dental implants may be your solution. Implants replace the entire structure of a natural tooth and restore function. The oral surgeons of Virginia Oral, Facial & Implant Surgery offer patients safe, comfortable dental implant experiences in Vienna, VA.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a small, screw-shaped artificial tooth root. Usually made of titanium, implant screws are available in different lengths and diameters to replace a missing tooth precisely. A complete dental implant has three components:
- Implant screw – Substitutes as a tooth root
- Abutment – Attaches to the top of the implant screw to support a dental crown
- Dental crown – Replaces the white portion of a tooth that emerges above the gum line
How Many Dental Implants Can You Get?
You can get a dental implant for each missing tooth. Dental implants can also support a bridge for multiple missing teeth in a row, or a denture if all your upper or lower teeth are missing. Regardless of how many teeth you have lost, Dr. Gocke, Dr. Nguyen, and Dr. McAdams will explain your options and the results you can expect.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
The benefits of dental implants exceed other forms of tooth replacement because your jawbone fuses with the artificial tooth root.
Implant advantages include:
- Restore tooth function
- Stimulate your jawbone and prevent facial shrinkage
- Enable you to enjoy your favorite foods again
- Do not require the support of adjacent teeth
- Last longer than removable tooth replacement options
- Easy to clean and maintain
Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants?
If you are in good health and can receive routine dental care, you are probably a candidate for dental implants. After a consultation, our oral surgeons will discuss your options for implants and develop a treatment plan to match your needs.
What Is the Process?
The dental implant process begins with a consultation. We will take 3-D images of your oral anatomy, our doctors will review these images and your health history, and give you an oral exam. They will explain your options and what you can expect from each of them. After you choose an option, we will provide a treatment plan that matches your goals for your oral health and your budget.
- Tooth removal – Dr. Gocke, Dr. Nguyen, or Dr. McAdams will remove teeth that are so severely damaged or decayed that they are unsavable. Bone grafting and immediate implant placement sometimes follow tooth removal.
- Bone grafting – If you have experienced bone shrinkage in areas of missing teeth, you may need grafting to support your dental implants. The grafts will heal after four to six months, and our surgeons can then place your implants.
- Implant surgery – Sedation and a local anesthetic will keep you comfortable throughout the procedure. Our surgeons will make small incisions for each implant and place them in the bone.
- Osseointegration – You will wait three to four months while your bone and implants integrate during a process called osseointegration. You will wear temporary replacement teeth during the healing process.
- Diet – A soft-food diet will ensure the implants are undisturbed as they heal.
- Abutments and final restoration – After ensuring that healing is complete, Dr. Gocke, Dr. Nguyen, or Dr. McAdams will expose the implants and attach the abutments. After your soft tissue heals around the abutments, your dentist will take impressions of your mouth for custom crowns, a bridge, or a denture. Your dentist will fasten your replacement teeth to the abutments for a beautiful, natural-looking smile.
How to Take Care of Dental Implants
Take care of your implants with daily flossing and brushing. Many implant patients benefit from a water flosser to keep their gums clean around the implants. Schedule routine exams and cleanings with your dentist to keep your gums, bone, and implants healthy.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
The cost of dental implants varies with each patient’s needs. Fees may include:
- Tooth removal
- Bone grafting
- Implant surgery
- Implant fixtures
- Pre-op and post-op care
We Welcome Vienna Patients for a Consultation
At Virginia Oral, Facial & Implant Surgery, patients in Vienna, VA can receive healthy, natural-looking implants and compassionate care from Dr. Gocke, Dr. Nguyen, or Dr. McAdams. We welcome you to schedule a consultation.